With the 2019 Localized Programmatic Summit all wrapped up, we are excited to kick off a new video blog series that will cover many of the sessions our clients and partners were able to attend. These sessions cover some of the hottest topics in programmatic, and include industry experts, panel discussions, in-depth presentations from Simpli.fi leaders, and more.
Let’s jump right in and kick off this series with “OTT/CTV: The State of the Technology”, presented by Simpli.fi Director of Training David McBee. Using the latest industry stats and drawing on his own extensive industry experience, David walks us through the current state of OTT/CTV from basic definitions to the profound implications this technology has for advertisers.
Key takeaways from this session include:
Key industry stats
— 85% of U.S. households watch streamed content via OTT/CTV devices (eMarketer)
— As of 2017, there were an estimated 34.4 million cord-nevers (eMarketer)
— 73% of adults who watch streaming video also consume ad-supported video (IAB)
— OTT/CTV ad requests are up 1640% year-over-year (Beachfront)
- OTT/CTV content is increasingly where the eyeballs are, and user numbers continue to grow. The above stats speak to the vast opportunity available for advertisers to reach consumers using OTT/CTV advertising technology. We are definitely in the right place at the right time.
- Targeting is what truly makes OTT/CTV advertising so exciting and dynamic. We no longer have to choose where to serve ads based on the popularity of a program. Rather, we can follow users who are likely prospects based on their online behaviors and serve them ads across OTT/CTV devices.
- Using cross-device matching, we can take “digital breadcrumbs” (i.e. a consumer’s online behaviors on other devices like laptop or mobile that indicate intent) and use them to target that consumer via OTT/CTV devices.
- Simpli.fi offers advertisers three distinct methods of OTT/CTV audience targeting: addressable, behavioral, and demographic. This type of unmatched audience targeting, paired with the ability to target both the big and small screens, provides Simpli.fi clients with highly effective ways to deliver video creative to their desired audience.
- Addressable OTT/CTV targeting uses address lists and GPS data to target specific households or businesses. Then, we can serve ads to consumers at these locations on the big screen, small screens, or across all screens. This solution can be used as a stand alone or as a complement to other addressable TV or direct mail offerings to extend reach and frequency.
- Behavioral OTT/CTV targeting lets advertisers target OTT/CTV users based on online behaviors like keywords, context, etc. Simpli.fi collects over 1.4 billion keyword activities daily.
- Demographic OTT/CTV targeting enables advertisers to take advantage of numerous combinations of demographic variables to target their ideal audience. With Simpli.fi, advertisers can target audiences using the largest, most accurate, and most comprehensive collection of U.S. multi-sourced offline consumer data available—1,500+ attributes to target more than 126 million households.
- OTT/CTV technology has opened up a wide range of capabilities far beyond what’s possible with linear television. OTT/CTV advertising combines the emotional impact of traditional TV ads with the granular audience targeting available through digital advertising, and lets marketers show different ads to different viewers watching the same show.
To learn more, watch the video below from Simpli.fi’s LPS19 and stay tuned for more excerpts and takeaways from the summit.