The 2021 holiday season saw retail sales increase by 14.1% year-over-year to $886.7 billion (NRF). Advertising for holiday sales began earlier in the year as businesses prepared for supply chain shortages and shipping delays. 2022 will be no different. E-commerce retail sales are expected to reach $235.86 billion this year (eMarketer). In addition, holiday sales are expected to
occur earlier in the year again, with 37% of consumers planning to begin their shopping sooner than expected to take advantage of lower prices (Salesforce).
Between e-commerce and brick-and-mortar sales, advertisers have plenty of opportunities to generate revenue. As we head into the 2022 holiday season, Simpli.fi wants to answer the following questions:
- How can advertisers prepare for success using learnings from last year?
- What programmatic strategies can these advertisers implement to reach key consumers?
To help advertisers capitalize on the opportunity that lies ahead, we analyzed data from the fourth quarter of 2021 to identify trends and patterns to apply for this year’s holiday campaigns. We also provided strategic recommendations to implement this holiday season based on our findings.
TOPICS OF IMPORTANCE HIGHLIGHTED WITHIN OUR TRENDS REPORT
- Learn how advertisers utilized Addressable Geo-Fencing to maximize their return on ad spend (ROAS) with relevant consumers at the household-level.
- Analyze the rapid acceleration of CTV advertising as advertisers promoted deals around specific Q4 holidays last year.
- See which targeting tactics were utilized most in Q4 2021, as advertisers marketed earlier due to supply chain concerns and implemented a creative mix of tactics to reach shoppers at every stage of the funnel.
- Understand the impact of increased competition around important shopping holidays as it pertains to the rise in CPMs broken down by targeting tactic.
- Weigh the impact of e-commerce shopping using Simpli.fi’s analysis of online and offline conversion performance throughout the busiest shopping quarter of the year.
- Apply findings to specific industries and verticals, such as retail, home & garden, and arts & entertainment.
RECOMMENDED STRATEGIES FOR PROGRAMMATIC ADVERTISERS MARKETING IN Q4 2022
Last year, consumers took to both online and physical storefronts to complete their holiday shopping. We expect the upcoming holiday season to mirror last year’s. Therefore, using data from Q4 2021, we compiled five key recommendations for advertisers to capitalize on this holiday season.
- Reach Consumers at the Household-Level Throughout Q4
Addressable Geo-Fencing should be a key component of any retailer’s holiday advertising mix. Reach consumers at the household-level using first-party data lists and/or Simpli.fi’s Addressable Audience Curation tool.
- Target Streamers with CTV Ads
With streaming time on the rise, take advantage of CTV advertising to reach consumers. Use targeted advertising strategies paired with the power of CTV to reduce waste and increase performance using a popular media type.
- Reach Shoppers Using Intent Data
Capitalize on Site Retargeting, Search Retargeting, and Keyword Contextual targeting to reach users based on their online behaviors, such as the keywords they search, the content they read, and the websites they visit.
- Take Advantage of Simpli.fi’s Online & Offline Attribution Capabilities
Measure online conversions like form-fills, purchases, and more with Simpli.fi’s online attribution tools. Additionally, use Simpli.fi’s Transaction Value Reporting to track purchase values and order IDs from online conversions to gauge return on ad spend (ROAS). Then, set up Conversion Zones around physical stores to attribute offline conversions generated from campaigns.
- Increase CPMs to Remain Competitive
CPMs typically are the highest during Thanksgiving and Christmas as businesses ramp up their online presence for the holiday rush. To stay competitive and prevent missing out on relevant impressions, it’s important for advertisers to increase their CPMs during the holiday season.
The 2022 holiday season is expected to be a busy one. Stay top-of-mind by reaching consumers using Addressable Geo-Fencing and CTV advertising. Incorporate behavioral targeting to deliver ads to consumers based on their online behaviors further reducing wasted impressions. Then, use Simpli.fi’s attribution capabilities to measure online and offline conversions and gauge the overall impact of your programmatic efforts. No matter the industry you’re in, there are plenty of opportunities to drive revenue this holiday season with Simpli.fi.
Increase campaign performance this holiday season with Simpli.fi’s programmatic solutions.
Fill out the form below, contact your Simpli.fi representative, or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.