From landscaping needs to home renovations, homeowners are staying busy in preparation for warmer weather. This year, consumers are projected to spend $558.3 billion on home improvement projects (Statista). With all of this money on the table, advertisers have a large opportunity to reach and convert homeowners.
To see what programmatic strategies home and garden advertisers have used to drive performance during high seasons, we turned to the Simpli.fi platform for insights. We analyzed data from home and garden campaigns between January 1, 2021 through April 3, 2022 to derive trends and patterns on how advertisers successfully targeted and converted consumers. Then, we compiled recommendations based on insights for advertisers to implement in
their campaigns during this year’s busiest seasons.
In this report, find answers to questions like:
- What targeting tactics did advertisers use to reach consumers?
- How did advertisers utilize various device types in campaigns to drive performance?
- When is the best time to generate online and offline conversions throughout the year?
KEY FINDINGS FOR HOME & GARDEN PROGRAMMATIC TRENDS
- What targeting tactics did advertisers use to reach consumers? Home and garden advertisers used a blend of targeting tactics to reach consumers throughout the past 15 months. Advertisers utilized Keyword Search and Category Contextual Retargeting, targeting homeowners who were searching for or reading content related to home improvement or lawn maintenance. These advertisers also incorporated location-based targeting to reach consumers by proximity and drive performance in the months leading up to summer and throughout the industry’s busy season.
- Which Device Types Are Experiencing the Highest Campaign Growth? Advertisers used a mixture of devices to reach consumers. However, campaigns served on CTV devices experienced the highest growth compared to other devices as advertisers took advantage of increased consumer streaming time.
- When is the Best Time to Generate Online and Offline Conversions? It is to no surprise, home and garden advertisers saw success by driving offline conversions as consumers visited storefronts for in-person shopping. However, home and garden advertisers also generated a high number of online conversions—such as e-commerce sales—throughout the year as well. Overall, both online and offline conversions closely followed seasonal patterns worth noting for advertisers looking to drive performance.
RECOMMENDED STRATEGIES FOR HOME & GARDEN PROGRAMMATIC ADVERTISERS THIS YEAR
- Increase Efforts During Spring and Late Summer
Stay competitive and increase targeting as homeowners are more inclined to purchase home improvement and lawn care services in the spring and summer.
- Drive Offline Conversions During High Seasons by Targeting Consumers Based on Proximity
Advertisers used Addressable Geo-Fencing and Geo-Fencing to drive offline conversions
by reaching consumers in the areas they service. Continue using location-based targeting
to generate offline conversions among homeowners who are most likely to take an action.
- Blend Targeting Tactics to Increase Online Conversions During Fall and Winter Months
Continue driving online conversions by combining location-based targeting tactics with behavioral targeting tactics as the high season slows down to make sure you are reaching consumers across all stages of the marketing funnel.
- Maximize Campaign Performance with Simpli.fi’s Advanced Attribution Capabilities
Attribute an ROI to your advertising campaigns, including CTV ads, by tracking online conversions such as visiting a website, completing a form-fill, adding a product to a shopping cart, making a purchase, and more. Additionally, measure offline conversions by drawing Conversion Zones around retail stores to attribute in-store traffic generated from your campaigns.
Interested in reaching homeowners with your programmatic campaigns?
Fill out the form below, contact your Simpli.fi representative, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps.